Followers

Sunday, August 13, 2023

poem




1. "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun,"
   The speaker starts by saying that his lover's eyes are not at all like the sun. He's being honest and not using flattering(praise and compliments) comparisons.

2. "Coral is far more red than her lips' red;"
   He compares his lover's lips to coral, which is redder than her lips. This shows he's not using exaggeration( a statement that represents something as better or worse than it really is)to praise her.

3. "If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;"
   He says that if snow is white, then her breasts are more of a dull color ("dun"), not as bright as snow.

4. "If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head."
   He compares her hair to wires, saying that her hair is black like wires. He's not using poetic language to make her seem perfect.

5. "I have seen roses damasked, red and white,"
   The speaker mentions that he has seen roses with both red and white colors.

6. "But no such roses see I in her cheeks;"
   He's saying that her cheeks don't have the same rosy red and white colors as the roses he's seen before.

7. "And in some perfumes is there more delight"
   He compares perfumes to her scent, suggesting that some perfumes are more delightful than her smell.

8. "Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks."
   He's saying that some perfumes smell better than the breath that comes from his lover.

9. "I love to hear her speak, yet well I know"
   The speaker enjoys hearing his lover talk, but he's aware that her voice isn't as lovely as music or other sounds.

10. "That music hath(have) a far more pleasing sound;"
    He acknowledges that music sounds more pleasing than his lover's voice.

11. "I grant I never saw a goddess go,"
    He admits he has never seen a goddess walking.

12. "My mistress when she walks treads on the ground:"
    He emphasizes(give special importance) that his lover walks on the ground like an ordinary person, not floating(not settled permanently)  like a goddess.

13. "And I yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare"
   - I still believe, by swearing to heaven, that my love is unique and precious.

14. "As any she belied with false compare."
   - Just like anyone else who is described with exaggerated and untrue comparisons.

Overall, the speaker is describing his lover in a realistic and honest way, without using flowery language or exaggerated comparisons. He loves her for who she is, flaws and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

4.3 Resume and Cover letter

 Resume as writing skill: A resume is like a snapshot of your work . It's a document that lists your education, work experience, skills,...